Sierra-Oakhurst Kiwanis NewsletterOctober 2018
John Lassos, PRESIDENT
PRESIDENT’S CORNER –As we start the new Kiwanis year, as your President, I would encourage all members to be active in helping make our events successful……remember we are a service club for our mountain communities, schools and kids.
We need to reach out to our community to increase our membership. We WELCOME, RICK WHITE, our new member, and will have his induction ceremony at a date to be determined. Our Board meetings are the first monday of every month; all members are welcome to attend and bring up suggestions or concerns.
Together we can make the 2018-19 year very successful!!
- Minarets High School Home Coming Game Service Project – On Oct.12 we will be cooking hamburgers, hot dogs and loaded nachos provided by MHS for this fun event! Sign up sheet will be available at the next 2 Kiwanis meetings.
- Changes to the annual budgets were discussed, changes made and will be presented to the membership at the Oct. Bus. Mtg.
- New Member, Rick White, was confirmed into membership.
- Mini Grants – The Mountain Area Educators have all been notified via e-mail
with application information, and rules and regulations for submission.
Applications are due back to Kiwanis by Nov. 16th.
- Samaritan’s Purse Boxes – The boxes will be available beginning at the Oct. 2
meeting and will be collected early Nov. Each box requires a $9.00 shipping and handling fee which can be paid by check or cash. As in the past Vicki will fill a box of cute and practical goodies for you for $30.00/ box including the fee. Contact Vicki if you wish to have a box made. Visit samaritanspurse.org/occ for gift suggestions to put in your box. Do not include candy, toothpaste, gum, used items, war related items, seeds, food, liquids or breakable items.
- Family Fun Festival – Chair: Bob S. This event will be at Oakhurst Park on Nov. 3 from 9:00 am – 3:00pm and will be staffed by members to share with attendees as to just what exactly we provide to the community.
- Christmas Party – under discussion
NEW OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS for 2018-19
John Lassos, Pres. Harvey Left, Director Steve Ham, Pres. Elect Mike Lindman, Director
Dori Hartman, Sec.
Jerrie West, Treas.
Bob Spinelli, Past President Paul Holmquist, Director Dave Sebastian, Director
Rich McCrae, Director Jim Rice, Director
Ed George, Director Gary Marshall, Director
Oct. 1 – Board meeting at the Lutheran Church at 8:00 am Oct. 2 – Business meeting
Oct. 9 – TBD
Oct. 16 – TBD
Oct. 23 – Richard Walter “Dogs for Better Lives”
Oct. 30 – Larrie Unruh “Toastmasters”
Oct. 31 – Happy Halloween!
Oct. 12 – MHS Service Project
Nov. 3 – Family Festival and Resource Fair at Oakhurst Park from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm Dec. 1 – Breakfast with Santa.
Dec.( 4th week) – Outpouring
March 16 – BINGO
Sept. 6 &7 – “Run for the Gold” Car Show
Golden Chain – ?Oct, but TBD