Sierra-Oakhurst Kiwanis Newsletter
Bob Spinelli, PRESIDENT
PRESIDENT’S CORNER –Well, where has the time gone, it is already June and things are starting to heat up, both in activities and weather. June is a busy month with scholarships, Key Clubs, K Kids, Bike program and fundraisers. Kiwanis is proud to award 6 – $1000 scholarships to be spread over the 3 area High Schools. I would like to thank the members who did the presentations at the High Schools.
The Yosemite H.S. Key Club is back in the fold of being current on dues. I would like to Thank Ram, who has met with both the School and the Key Club. They have also selected the new officers for 2018-19 school year. We need to make sure that this Key Club stays on track and guide them. I am not too worried about Minaret’s HS Key Club, they have a good on site adviser and Dori is our representative to the Club. The key for both Clubs is two way communication from Key Club to Kiwanis and visa versa.
The Bike Program, headed by Jim Rice and helped by Ed George, has readied 8 bikes for the local elementary schools. The schools will select a student to present the bike for perfect attendance and or citizenship. Thank you Jim and Ed.
The fundraisers for the month is Sierra Telephone breakfast on June 13. This event is from 6:30 to 9:00am. The RibFest is really not a fundraiser for us, but for the Oakhurst Community Center. It is for bragging rights for the best Ribs in town. I am sure our head chef Ray Vetter has everything lined up to take back the title.
Have a great summer. Hope to see you at the meetings.
- “Oklahoma” Golden Chain Fundraiser in August. Tickets will be $25.00/guest. Table Sponsors will be $25.00 each. See Dori for details.
- Remember to get your check for $50 or a tube of M&M’s filled to Harvey for MMQ.
- Six (6) $1000.00 SCHOLARSHIPS were awarded to graduating seniors at YHS, Minarets and Glacier HS. The recipients are Maria Asbury (Glacier), Justin Hough, Hadezbahbrisa Benally and Faith Moseley(Minarets HS) and Dustin Thomas Leroy and Zachary Thach (YHS). They have all been invited to join us at our July 10 meeting so we can learn more of their aspirations.
- FLAG Day is June 14th – Tickets are available ( see Vicki or Dave) for $15.00/person for the Program and Dinner at Oakhurst Lutheran Church.
- Ribfest is coming! See Dori for tickets. They are going fast. Come and encourage Kiwanis to win back the title for Best Ribs!
- BEER! – We still need a few more single bottles of unusual beer for our “Beer Bucket” raffle offering for the Rib Fest.
- Car Show Meeting – After the Business Meeting on June 5.
- Requests for funding a project – The board agreed that the project needs to be presented in writing to the Board a a Board meeting. The board will then discuss and make a decision.
- ROAD CLEAN UP coming soon. Date to be determined.
June 1 – Glacier Awards Pgm (John and Vicki)
June 4 – Board Meeting
June 5 – Business Meeting
June 12 – Sierra Ambulance
June 13 – Sierra Tel Breakfast
June 14 – Flag Day
June 19 – ECMCSPCA Update
June 23 – Rib Fest
June 26 – Carol Moses, Judge
July 3 – DARK No MEETING
July 4 – CELEBRATE INDEPENDENCE DAY!
July 9 – Board Meeting
July 10 – Business Meeting and Scholarship Recipient Presentations
Aug. 18 – “Golden Chain Oklahoma Fundraiser”
Sept. 7&8 – “Run for the Gold” Car Show