Sierra-Oakhurst Kiwanis NewsletterJanuary 2019
John Lassos, PRESIDENT
PRESIDENT’S CORNER – Happy New Year my fellow Kiwanian’s
As we start the New Year let us resolve to make our club the best in the mountain community.
- Heidi Close was voted into membership
- Outpouring – Over 400 home cooked Christmas meals were served tomembers of the community who attended the 12th year of this great event.. Many Thanks to our members who provided food or $ to continue this wonderful holiday treat.
- Kiwanis Christmas Party – About 30 members and guests enjoyed sharing some Christmas spirit. Many gifts were collected for kids at VCH.
- Breakfast with Santa was another great and well received event. $1000.00 was given from the profits to the Children’s Museum.
- Girl Scout Troop 3041 “Twelve Days of Christmas” Service Project. Two families were selected through the Boys and Girls Club and different gifts were delivered to each family beginning Dec. 13 through Dec. 24. In collaboration with two other scout troops as well as our own troop and Kiwanis members over $700.00 was collected to purchase the gifts. It all started with a completely decorated Christmas Tree on Dec. 13 and followed every evening with such gifts as Gas card, Target GC, Movie Basket, Gingerbread House, Dinner at a local restaurant, Hot Chocolate Box and culminated with several gifts for each child on Dec. 24th. Many Thanks to a few Kiwanians who were able to experience the real gift of giving during the holidays this year.
- The ROV Team made a presentation to the board about their ongoing project. The board awarded them $150.00. Look for the ROV Team speaking engagement in February.
- Taco Bar Evening is being considered for July. Give your ideas to JohnJANUARY EVENTS
Jan 7 – Board Meeting
Jan . 8 – Bus. MeetingJan. 12 – DCM. See John if you are interested in attending. Jan. 15 – Ari; Exchange Student from Indonesia
Jan. 22 – Jim Kimbrough – Proposed Sky Ranch RV Resort Jan. 29 – Juan Ortiz; Minarets Media Bus
Feb. 4 – Board Meeting 8:00 am at OLC
Mar. 2 – Cal Nev Ha Mid Year Conference in Santa Rosa – Contact John or Dori if you want to attend.
March 16 – BINGO
April 7 – Woodcarvers Convention
April 29 – Torch of Excellence
June – Wood Carver’s Convention
Aug. 15 – 17 – Dist. Conv. in Las Vegas
Sept. 6-7 – “Run for the Gold” Car Show
Oct. 5 – Golden Chain Theatre – Peter Pan