2018 Recipients of the Mini-Grants for Elementary and Intermediate schools of Eastern Madera County. 19 grants were funded from a total of $10k raised from the Run for the Gold Car Show held in September.
Sierra-Oakhurst Kiwanis NewsletterDecember 2018
John Lassos, PRESIDENT
PRESIDENT’S CORNER –
As we head to the end of 2018, I would like to wish each club member and their families a Happy and Joyous Holiday.
We have had a great 2018; let us work together to have an even better 2019. We had a fun Inner Club meeting with East Fresno Club, sharing each others upcoming events. It was great having them at our meeting. My thanks to all who helped with our Breakfast with Santa event with no snow!
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
- Mini Grants – The Awards Program will be Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018 . We have 18 Mini Grants to award.
- Breakfast with Santa – 400+ kids and adults were served breakfast before visiting with Santa . Details to follow.
- Outpouring – See Suzy Ruhe to sign up for what food to bring
- Kiwanis Christmas Party – Bring on appetizer or dessert for 8 and an optionalunwrapped gift for a VCH kid.
- East Fresno Club joined us for an Inner Club
- Girl Scout Troop 3041 made a presentation to the board re: their 12 days ofXmas benefit to 2 needy families. Members are asked to make monetary orgift card donations. See Vicki for details.
- Minarets Girls JV Basketball was granted $100.00 towards sponsorship of theirteam.DECEMBER EVENTS
Dec. 1 – Breakfast with Santa.
Dec. 3 – Board Meeting
Dec. 4 – Bus. Meeting
Dec. 10 – Kiwanis Christmas Party at the OLC at 5:30 pm Dec. 11 – DARK; no meeting
Dec. 18 – Mini Grants Award Program
Dec. 23 4-8 pm – Outpouring at the OCC
Dec. 25 – MERRY CHRISTMAS. DARK – no meetingFUTURE EVENTS
Jan. 1, 2019 – HAPPY NEW YEAR. DARK – no meeting Jan 7 – Board Meeting
Jan . 8 – Bus. Meeting
Jan. 15 – Ari; Exchange Student
Jan. 22 – TBD
Jan. 29 – Juan Ortiz; Minarets Media Bus March 16 – BINGO
April 7 – Woodcarvers Convention
Sierra-Oakhurst Kiwanis NewsletterOctober 2018
John Lassos, PRESIDENT
PRESIDENT’S CORNER –As we start the new Kiwanis year, as your President, I would encourage all members to be active in helping make our events successful……remember we are a service club for our mountain communities, schools and kids.
We need to reach out to our community to increase our membership. We WELCOME, RICK WHITE, our new member, and will have his induction ceremony at a date to be determined. Our Board meetings are the first monday of every month; all members are welcome to attend and bring up suggestions or concerns.
Together we can make the 2018-19 year very successful!!
- Minarets High School Home Coming Game Service Project – On Oct.12 we will be cooking hamburgers, hot dogs and loaded nachos provided by MHS for this fun event! Sign up sheet will be available at the next 2 Kiwanis meetings.
- Changes to the annual budgets were discussed, changes made and will be presented to the membership at the Oct. Bus. Mtg.
- New Member, Rick White, was confirmed into membership.
- Mini Grants – The Mountain Area Educators have all been notified via e-mail
with application information, and rules and regulations for submission.
Applications are due back to Kiwanis by Nov. 16th.
- Samaritan’s Purse Boxes – The boxes will be available beginning at the Oct. 2
meeting and will be collected early Nov. Each box requires a $9.00 shipping and handling fee which can be paid by check or cash. As in the past Vicki will fill a box of cute and practical goodies for you for $30.00/ box including the fee. Contact Vicki if you wish to have a box made. Visit samaritanspurse.org/occ for gift suggestions to put in your box. Do not include candy, toothpaste, gum, used items, war related items, seeds, food, liquids or breakable items.
- Family Fun Festival – Chair: Bob S. This event will be at Oakhurst Park on Nov. 3 from 9:00 am – 3:00pm and will be staffed by members to share with attendees as to just what exactly we provide to the community.
- Christmas Party – under discussion
NEW OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS for 2018-19
John Lassos, Pres. Harvey Left, Director Steve Ham, Pres. Elect Mike Lindman, Director
Dori Hartman, Sec.
Jerrie West, Treas.
Bob Spinelli, Past President Paul Holmquist, Director Dave Sebastian, Director
Rich McCrae, Director Jim Rice, Director
Ed George, Director Gary Marshall, Director
Oct. 1 – Board meeting at the Lutheran Church at 8:00 am Oct. 2 – Business meeting
Oct. 9 – TBD
Oct. 16 – TBD
Oct. 23 – Richard Walter “Dogs for Better Lives”
Oct. 30 – Larrie Unruh “Toastmasters”
Oct. 31 – Happy Halloween!
Oct. 12 – MHS Service Project
Nov. 3 – Family Festival and Resource Fair at Oakhurst Park from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm Dec. 1 – Breakfast with Santa.
Dec.( 4th week) – Outpouring
March 16 – BINGO
Sept. 6 &7 – “Run for the Gold” Car Show
Golden Chain – ?Oct, but TBD